Friday, December 28, 2012

Striking gold on Craigslist!

We weren't planning on having a dresser for Babybug. The layout for the nursery is odd, and our plan was to stick a bookcase in the corner (between the crib and changing table) and use baskets for organization.

Today, during naptime, I sat in the nursery for awhile and looked around. I kept thinking that there had to be another way. I mentally rearranged furniture, thinking about the best use of space. Scott and I were going back and forth on how to organize things. We're coming up close on a deadline here!

On a whim, I checked Craigslist to see how much dressers were going for. Just to see. I saw an ad posted today for an antique white dresser. It looked slim. I quickly looked for measurements and flew into the nursery with the tape measure. If you can believe it, it was the perfect fit for the little "nook" next to the closet. We have an odd section of the wall, where there's a tiny bit of room...enough for a chair or a small bookcase. Our plan was to stick a cheap Target bookcase in there and put a lamp on top. A sturdy dresser seemed much better.

Everything fell into place. Scott liked the idea of the dresser and agreed that it would get years of use. The measurements were perfect, almost as if it had been built for the nursery. The color would match the crib. I also didn't want to miss out, so I called the man on the phone and he was willing to take the ad down if I was serious enough. I quickly got ahold of my friend Erin and she was happy to let us borrow her minivan.

I can't believe it all worked out, especially since this all started just a few hours ago. I couldn't be happier or more relieved. Babybug has a real dresser, the nursery is nearly done, and we managed to find exactly what we needed on a budget! It's really a beautiful piece. The inside of the top drawer says "Virginia House Solid Woods". Wow.

2 comments: